Thursday, November 25, 2010

Once Considered Trash, Now is a Treasure




This is Tanya, in a classroom of 50 children, she is the life of the party. Her wit is sharp and her smile is radiant.

Tanya attends a two classroom school in the slums of Katabon, Nobadiganta. As we approached the school building, Tanya ran to greet us. Taking each of our hands, Tanya led us to the main classroom and introduced us to her classmates who had been eagerly awaiting our arrival.

It is remarkable to think that this small child so full of energy, was abandoned by her parents at the local garbage, without a means of survival. Tanya was discovered by a woman in the area who has since raised her and enrolled her into school. A child left without hope, now lives with opportunity and love.

It seems like everyday I am confronted with the devastation of brokenness. I have said it before that the need is apparent and it is raw. Yes, this is true. But I think there is something inherent in us that clings to what is good, that seeks out the truth, and hopes for the light of day. So, it is in the life of Tanya that I find beauty, compassion, but most importantly, I have found redemption. Redemption for the bad and the undeserved.

I remember reading or at least overhearing as a child that in our lives, if we can simply help just one person, then the effort was worth giving and our life was worth living. I can say that I have attained to this notion in the past, but in all reality, it is only now that I understand the depth of this truth.

So in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I ask for your prayers for Tanya and the 610 students that will now receive free education through Calcutta Mercy Ministries and Project Rhino Education. And if you are able, I ask that you give. $1 a day will provide education to a child who would otherwise go without. It would amaze you how these children run to school, often times without the consent of their parents in the slums who would otherwise have them work for the family. These children are craving something more, something better and now Project Rhino is an avenue of opportunity for these children.

No comments:

Post a Comment