Monday, November 15, 2010

The City of Joy

“God made man because he loves stories.” As long as we have stories to tell each other there is hope. As long as we can remind each other of the lives of men and women whom the love of God becomes manifest, there is reason to move forward to new land in which new stories are hidden. [Henri M Nouwen]


I wrote my senior capstone paper on the language and life of stories, without them where would we find harmony, where would we ‘define’ who we are and where we have come from. Stories are the structure in which we understand life, how we know what’s next and to anticipate where we are headed. Stories make heroes. For heroes and legends and saints are the exception, the breaking of the mold, they are contrary and revolutionary.

We understand life with a beginning a middle and an end, with small or often dynamic climaxes and characters that drive the narrative. The components are often the same; family, school, marriage, career, children, friendships, challenges, love, heartbreak, death and new life. But every once in a while someone comes along and shakes the norm, does the extraordinary and in so doing, makes a new reference of good, of evil, of strength and love and beauty.


The stories of those of Calcutta will grow in time, in relationship, in experience and in simply seeing. So, I guess now I invite you into the stories of those I know, my acquaintances, my friends.


1 comment:

  1. Melanie, It was great to come across your blog via facebook. This is a great post! I really began to have a more meaningful relationship with God and with people when I began to understand the Bible as a story in which we find ourselves in. To know that we are "storied people" makes all the difference. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I heard you are moving? Where are you moving to?

    ReplyDelete